What are Plum Guide’s cleaning guidelines?
Whilst cleanliness has always been a core part of the Plum Guide guest promise, we all know that in today’s world a clean and sanitised home is a critical necessity and a fundamental responsibility for every host.
To reassure our community of hosts and guests, we have developed a new series of deep-cleaning guidelines, in collaboration with industry experts.
These guidelines outline what is required of every host welcoming Plum Guide guests into their homes.
COVID Cleaning Guidelines
Before you begin:
- If possible, wait the government-recommended amount of time before entering the home (check your local guidelines)
- Ensure you have all the necessary cleaning products and equipment to properly clean and disinfect the space
- Before entering, wash your hands thoroughly for at least 20 seconds with soap and warm water
- Put on a mask, rubber gloves and shoe covers
- Open all windows and turn on any fans in the home to ventilate before you begin
Cleaning and disinfecting (or ‘sanitising’) are two different things. Cleaning is removing any dirt or debris from a surface. An example of this is using wiping a table clear of dirt with a soapy cloth.
- Sweep, clean and/or hoover all floors
- Wash all hard surfaces with household brand cleaning products and hot water
- Wash all linens at the highest recommended heat setting
- Follow the manufacturer instructions to clean soft surfaces
- Empty all rubbish bins
- Do all dishes emptying the dishwasher and/or sink
- Avoid touching your face when cleaning
Disinfecting or sanitising involves using chemical products to kill germs and bacteria on a surface. For example, spraying disinfectant on high-touch surfaces such as remote controls.
- After cleaning a surface, spray with a clinically-approved disinfectant
- It’s crucial to let the disinfectant do its job. Keep the surface wet for the duration specified on the manufacturer’s label
- If time permits, allow it to air dry
- When wiping down the surface, use one wipe / sterilised cloth per surface
- While natural disinfectants such as vinegar or lemon juice are popular, no natural disinfectant has been cleared as safe by health authorities, so be sure to use household name products with a germ & bacteria killing guarantee
After cleaning and disinfecting the space, do a last thorough check to make sure no surface was left untouched.
- Double-check that all high-touch surfaces have been sanitized thoroughly
- Review the home room by room
- Take note of any disinfectant and cleaning supplies that are running out
Typical high-touch surfaces
- Doorknobs and handles
- Light switches
- Remote controls
- Window-sills and window handles
- Keys and lockboxes
- Rubbish and recycling bins
- Salt & pepper shakers
- Showers and tubs
- Shower curtains and doors
- Shampoo, conditioners and hand soaps
- Your home manual
Getting your home ready for a Plum guest
After everything is cleaned and disinfected, it’s time to prepare the home to receive the next guests.
- Put on clean gloves before changing the towels & linens and before replenishing any stocks, from toilet paper and bin bags to toiletries and basic cooking supplies
- Safely store or dispose of your cleaning equipment and protective gear
If you have any questions, please contact our Host Team using our Help Form.